DIY Foot Scrub

For the second post in my DIY Beauty Recipe series (I have 3 other posts planned so stay tuned) I'm tackling DIY Foot Scrub.



What makes this scrub different from the previous scrub?

This foot scrub contains Epsom salt.  Epsom salt, while not technically a salt, is high in magnesium which is very good for you.  It has several beneficial properties both internally, externally, and for your garden.

In this post we are focusing on the external benefits. 

When I was 21 I fell down some stairs at work and badly sprained my ankle.  Ever since whenever the weather is bad or about to be bad my ankle acts up.  Epsom salt foot soaks usually helped. 

Epsom salt can help with inflammation...

Why not just continue with the soaks?

It's winter and my heels are horrible.  Who else is in that dry skin boat?


I decided to combine the two issues into one product. 

Ideally, you can substitute sugar for this the salt in this basic scrub recipe.  You can replace the salt for other types of salt.  You can half and half this recipe.

Keep in mind - use sugar for face and other sensitive area scrubs.  Salt is coarser and more abrasive. 

Again, I used coconut oil in this recipe. 

I scanned various sites looking for the recipe I wanted to try. 


There was the https://wellnessmama.com foot scrub link using 1 cup of epsom salt, 1/4 cup olive oil, 10-15 drops essential oils, and 1 liquid castille soap.

All perfectly fine and reasonable except I had no liquid castille soap...  but you absolutely should visit her blog post.  She better details the benefits of Epsom salt than I can.


Instead I did a 2:1 approach.


Ingredients

1 cup of Epsom Salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
10-15 drops of peppermint extract.  (Essential oils work just as well, but I already had the extract)



Directions

Again I whisked the coconut oil to soften it up using my hand mixer.  Then I added in the salt and peppermint extract and mixed together.



Keep in mind, the coconut oil will make your feet and shower slippery.  After you wash off the scrub remember to dry your feet off. ;)


This recipe can be univeral for salt or sugar or half/half.

You can also use whatever fragrance you want to use. 

Here's a hint, even colors can be added!  I'd recommend mixing the color in with the oil so that it can disperse easier throughout the salt, sugar, salt and sugar mixture. 

Stay tuned for next week's post when I make DIY scrub cubes!

Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

DIY Brown Sugar Vanilla Body Scrub