Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

A little intimidating...
I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm doing.  The last time I picked up my mother's fountain pen was in the 6th grade and I'd signed up for Calligraphy Club.

They didn't have a book club at that point. Photography didn't inspire me.

But being able to shape letters and words into something pretty... that interested me.

I was the only leftie in a group of six.  The teacher had no clue how to help me. And, admittedly, my middle school scrawl wasn't the best.  It was painstakingly correct and clear, but when I was allowed to form my own style things improved.


...Back to the present day...

Pigma Brush Pen Set
We've all seen the fancy lettering on Facebook, Instagram, and other places.  That just fascinates me.

So much like other endeavers - the Morse Code bracelets for example - I've spent my time (and some limited resources) in an attempt to try my hand at lettering.

My first set of brush markers were too firm. Thankfully I was able to return them.   I have enough markers, colored pencils, and crayons for coloring and I don't need more.  (I have five + big pencil boxes loaded down.)

My second pen - a Pigma brush pen - is perfect.

Only... I'm an underwriter leftie and that makes things a bit more complicated that getting a marker and practicing.


Underwriters and Overwriters.

Underwriter
Overwriter
An overwriter (unfortunately also called a "hooker" because of the way they hook their hands over the paper, writing from the top of the line)can use a brush pen better than an underwriter.

A underwriter holds their pen below what they are writing. Kind of a mirror of the right-handed person.

This angle makes things even more complicated. Lefties already form 10% of the population. It's just one more thing I will have to adapt to.


Lettering and Calligraphy

Pilot Disposable Fountain Pen
So how does this relate to Calligraphy.  With both you'll need the basics.  Pull out your cursive writing folks. (Waits for the groans to subside.)

Calligraphy Dip Pen Set
Wait? You never learned? You've forgotten everything you ever did learn?  See below for some cursive resources.

What about equipment?   Get your hands on a fountain pen or calligraphy pen. 

The difference? The best I can tell a fountain pen uses a secured nib that can puncture an ink cartridge that's been placed inside the barrel of the pen.  A calligraphy pen's nibs can be inserted into a holder. (Get a straight one, not a curvy oblique one. It'll fit better in your hand - teachers advise.  If you are right-handed an reading this, both styles will work for you.) The nib is inserted in the ink to a certain point on the pen.   - See resources below for detailed explanation

The thing about the nibs - They Will Not Write if held at the wrong angle.

This isn't true for Calligraphy marker pens or brush markers or water brushes or paint brushes. 

Left angled nibs - You can see the angle best on the left bib
You can see the 45 degree needed in the overwriter and underwriter pictures (above my hand).  I'll give you a moment to scroll back up before moaning and groaning.  And yes, unless you are creating your own style, most calligraphy styles involve this angle.

Yes, an underwriter leftie either has to adapt further by getting a certain nib that is cut at an angle (one blogger described it as cut like his left foot)or turning their wrist back to form this angle.

You can also train your hand to write like an overwriter.  This also involves making certain that your hand doesn't drag over the ink (or get quick drying ink).

I'm opting for the nib myself. That angled wrist thing looks painful.

Don't have the resources? Have to order a pen nib online because the craft stores don't have it?

A Sharpie highlighter with a chisel tip will help.  Like said before, markers will write regardless of angle so pay attention as you are practicing until your pen gets in.
This practice will help your muscle memory form.  What are you practicing? Your alphabet in cursive of course!


Supplies
Left handed Calligraphy set

One calligraphy or fountain pen - You want a nib.  If you are an underwriter leftie like me, get a left handed pen. The nibs will be on a slant (like our left foot).  They also make calligraphy nib holders that will create that same slant. Otherwise a straight nib will work.

Paper.  Not too smooth or the ink won't take. Not too rough or the ink will feather out. Not too thin or it will bleed through. I'm supposed to recommend a certain type here, but I won't.

Practice sheets with lines.  You can print them off with laser jet paper (note, paper - not printer) (See resources - but I just used a notebook)

The cursive alphabet guides. (See resources)

Extra ink.  I went through one cartridge on the lower case letters alone. And another for the uppercase.  To get good you have to practice.




Resources

This blogger was the most helpful in 'teaching' calligraphy once I figured out the equipment and hand placement that I needed to use. Julie Blanner - How to learn calligraphy

Many of her resources are found throughout the 5 blog posts/lessons.  The uppercase alphabet can be found here. Julie Blanner - Left-Handed Calligraphy and Resources

Practicing
Pieces of Calligraphy had 5 lefthanded calligraphy and lettering guest bloggers on her page.  Some of those videos and blogs are quite useful - Pieces of Calligraphy- Tips for Lefties

I found this blog interesting - Eight Modern Calligraphy Myths

Finally - Guide Sheets - https://www.iampeth.com/lessons/guide-sheets





But Most Importantly!
Practice everyday for at least 10-15 minutes.  Practice letters.  Practice joining words.  Eventually you'll be creating your own style and you evolve.

Alicia

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing/including me. Glad you found it helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you! If you couldn't tell, your blog posts were a huge help to me after so many blogs and youtube videos that only left me frustrated.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

DIY Brown Sugar Vanilla Body Scrub