DIY - Bath Bombs - Spoiler: Fail

It happens on occasion... I attempted something that failed.  Twice. 

I do intend to try again, however... not in time to make tomorrow's blog post deadline. 

Everything began with this idea to make bath bombs.  We've  (probably) all seen those FB ads for a certain bath bomb company that includes jewelry in their bath bombs.

I have mixed feelings about bath bombs, but I really, really, really wanted to try making them. 

So I stalked the bath bomb and soap making section at my local craft store.  All I needed was 1 thing and it could come in two forms: citric acid.

What?  It's a powder and it creates that awesome fizzy effect when the bath bomb hits the water.

I could get it in one of two forms - a 5 lb bag of citric acid or a bath bomb kit.

There were two kits, but I didn't want to smell like lime, so I waited impatiently for the none-fragrance included kit.

I had my lavender and vanilla for the soaps... I'll avoid the lime and margarita fragrances.

So I waited. And waited. And waited. 

Finally, it came in.

What happened?

Note - excuse the vagueness.  I'll include better instructions with my third attempt.

Round One

I followed the package instructions exactly.

I mixed the first package. Added the liquid until it was a sandy mixture.  Then added the citric acid.

See the last photo in this section...




Foaming up way too soon!



Round Two

I mixed all the dry ingredients together.  I mixed all the wet ingredients together.  I slowly mixed the two together.   It was too wet, so I added some more of the not-citric acid package.  Formed into a ball.  Freeze.


The bottom half of the form is stuck.  The bath bomb is blue.



Results

Obviously this bath bomb is no longer blue.  I noticed that everything I used the vanilla fragrance in, except the body scrub cubes, turned brown!

By the way, the bath bomb barely fizzed. 

Yes, the bottom on the mold is still stuck on the bath bomb.


So, if you are considering bath bombs as a present - unless you have made them before - order them online. 

Stay tuned on Saturday for when I make Vapor Rub shower "tablets"

Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

DIY Brown Sugar Vanilla Body Scrub