Stuffed Shells, a Valentine's Day Lament, and The LBD

As I wait impatiently for the latest installation of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries ( www.lizziebennet.com is the official website) web series (we are in literary climax mode and it is driving me crazy waiting for the posts) I thought that I would post this blog that I had written last night on my kindle and was able to copy and paste before getting on the laptop for the recommended pics.  Oh, it's up....false alarm...anyway, The LBD is a you tube web series using Pride and Prejudice as its primary focus.  It centers around 24 year old grad student, Lizzie Bennet, and her 2 sisters (Jane and Lydia - Mary is a cousin and Kitty is a...cat).  It's awesome. And so was the most recent video.  Of course, my closest friends know how I am about Pride and Prejudice.

Regardless, here is what I wrote last night.  Late last night.  There might be typos...


Yes I'm well aware what this horrible day is: Valentine's day. I think there is actually a St. Right before that...I digress.  I really dislike today. In the 28 years of my existence I have never (unless you count those elementary Valentine's that everybody gets) had a Valentine on valentines day. I think there was one one-off "boyfriend" whom was conveniently an off when the major holidays rolled around. Really sucks for this girl who loves gift giving and making things special.

Even this year I can't get the guy to commit past casual and the looking for somebody game isn't going smoothly. Yes, as the close friends can tell you, I've been on almost EVERY online dating site; guess it doesn't work for everybody, unless you count the fact that online is where I met the frustrating yet mostly intelligent Hermit ( he can't be completely intelligent, after all he's risking the chance of me slipping away!).  Don't worry Hermit, nobody interesting has appeared yet so you still have a chance to not screw this up.

I feel like there is something grammatically wrong with that sentence. To put forth the effort to fix it...hmmm...naw. onward and forward.

Maybe I'll make a little structure for my little blog here.  Recipe Thursdays perhaps. That way everybody has the chance to gather ingredients and possibly make something that sounds good on the weekend.

Although for those staying home tonight for a little romantic dinner: 1. I am quite envious (even if you went out) and 2. I am sorry that you don't get the chance to make this wonderfully delicious meal tonight. You'll want some time regardless. Prep takes a while.

Without .such more rambling...I present...

Stuffed shells: a meatless meal that is just as good the next day.  In fact I told Hermit that it was better than chocolate molten cake...even though it is different food categories.

Those of you following me on Pinterest the idea came from lasagna roll ups...but I was feeling lazy. This is not a lazy meal. I also had to make adjustments for what was on hand. I'll link the original. Here's what I did

Ingredients:
Jumbo shells
10 oz package of spinach, thawed
 1.5 cups of cheese - I used an Italian blend
15 oz cottage cheese
1 egg
Tomato sauce
Extra cheese

1. Dump the shells in the pot and cook them according to the box. Jumbo shells.
2. Throw everything else (except the tomato sauce and extra cheese) in a bowl and mix well.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees once the shells are cooked. Not before.



4. Thinly coat the bottom of the pan with some of the tomato sauce.








5. Once the shells have cooled down begin the stuffing process. This will take a while and you'll probably run out of pan or filling before they are all stuffed. Just store the remainder. As you are stuffing you are putting them in the pan. I found a diagonal pattern works best.






 6. Once finished, cover with the rest of the tomato sauce. This keeps them from drying out.
7. Cover with aluminum foil, shiny side down. Yes, it makes a difference. It won't heat up with the shiny side up.
8. Bake for 30 minutes (unless you didn't do the shiny side down, then it takes removing the foil and cooking longer.










9. Remove. Cover with the extra cheese. Put in oven until melted and slightly brown. The tomato sauce should be bubbling on the sides of the pan by this point.
10.  Remove again. Insert knife into the center to make sure that it is in fact warm/hot in the center.





Serve with a salad or meat of choice depending on if you HAVE to have meat with every meal.
















And like I said before, it is still good the next day. Not everything can claim that fact.

 Now, where is the chocolate I bought myself and the sappy romance novel on my kindle? Or maybe research for my next blog project...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

Making Paper Roses