Coke Cake and it's varieties

First: The History

MANY years ago my friend, Jackie, insisted on going to Cracker Barrel for our yearly excursion to Jackson.  Either I was living at Martin at the time and we drove down for school clothes shopping or she came down here, either way...we went shopping and then out to eat.  That year it was Cracker Barrel.  Jackie loves her deserts.  Always orders it. She recommended their Coke Cake.  She probably said something along the lines of, 'It's like crack.'  (Not that she's ever done crack, she just meant addictive.)  OMG it was!  I decidedly ate too much that day. 

About a year ago, another friend, one of the many Megans that are in my friends and acquaintances lists, had a wedding shower and guess what was the desert.  Yep, Coke Cake.  I almost wanted to sneak into the kitchen and take the huge pan home with me, but I didn't.  I was having too much fun with former co-workers. 

But that cake stood out in my mind.  I wanted that cake.  I craved that cake.  I desired that cake. 

Then came...

Second: Round One.

Somebody on the internet had this bright idea.  It seemed easier than the many steps that a recipe had and I like short cuts. 

I'm a baker.  I should have known better.  Even if they swore by it.  Silly internet people.  Needless to say, this was not shared. 


See, I'm even sharing the end result pictures, but regardless, my thanksgiving treat to my friends was a no-go and I left them out on the counter until they could get stale.  I'd tasted the original even if my parents had not.  

Third: The Real Deal

Sadly, I have no pictures for this final stage in my coke cake journey.  I caved to the many time consuming steps.  My craving for this treat was reaching it's peak.  I NEEDED that cake.  Well, my father's birthday was coming up and I made him a cake.  It wasn't traditionally done: I used a bundt cake pan instead of a regular pan.  Makes a nice mess.  

Anyway, here is the recipe, courtesy of Myrecipes.com

Cake - Ingredients

  • 1 cup Coca-Cola 
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened 
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar 
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
  • Coca-Cola Frosting
  • Garnish: 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Preparation

  1. Combine Coca-Cola and buttermilk; set aside.
  2. Beat butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar; beat until blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat at low speed until blended.
  3. Combine flour, cocoa, and soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture; begin and end with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended.
  4. Stir in marshmallows. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes. Pour Coca-Cola Frosting over warm cake; garnish, if desired.
  5. Note: Don't make the frosting ahead--you need to pour it over the cake shortly after baking.

Icing - Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine 
  • 1/3 cup Coca-Cola 
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preparation

  1. Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

Making Paper Roses