In the Land of Cupcakes, part 1

Sometimes my Beta eaters hate to hear that I'm experimenting again.  Why?  Why would you hate to know that your lovely, wonderful, amazing, and talented friend is experimenting in baking again?  After all, it means free cupcakes!  Alas, that is the problem, free cupcakes during swimsuit season.  At least I suspect that is how Jackie and Megan feel.  So I tend to limit myself to an experiment every two weeks and I have enough Beta eaters to spread things around so that everybody, except Bobby, gets one or two of the current experiment. 

Experiment #5 (I think, I'm not certain) was Oreo cupcakes.

Aren't they beautiful? (Sorry for the fuzzy spot on the upper left corner of the picture, the protective glass covering the camera on my phone is cracked, clumsy me.)

Now, the problem is that I cannot give my sources.  As an English teacher and former English major this is a major no-no.  However, a simple Google search (term: Oreo cupcakes; Oreo icing) should be able to remedy this, at least put a patch on the issue of plagiarism. (Is that possible in cooking and baking?)

Regardless: On with the recipe for today.

Oreo Cupcakes

Ingredients for the Cake:

1 package Double stuff Oreos
1 cake chocolate cake mix (or ingredients to make from scratch) (I used a chocolate fudge cake mix.)
3 eggs (cake mix)
1 1/4 cup of water (cake mix)
1/4 cup of oil (cake mix)

And don't forget the cupcake liners and the cupcake/muffin pans. 


Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 350
2.  Line the pans with the liners.  This is important: Do Not Oil the pans in any way.  It will make the cookie soggy.
3. Halve the cookies.  Put the half with the icing in the bottom of the liner, cookie side down.   The remaining pieces can go in the icing. Or you can eat them.  I did a little of both. 
4. Make the cake according to the box.  Truthfully, I use a secret ingredient or two in my cake mix, but since it is a family recipe I will not be sharing that information.  But that doesn't matter that much.
5. Fill the cupcake pan until 2/3 of the way full.  A little more for bigger cupcakes but that effects the yield.  A little less will make smaller cupcakes but you will have more.  I, personally, will overfill my cupcake pans.
6. Bake according to the box (usually 18-23 minutes). 
7. Check to see if they are done.  I like the toothpick test.  Insert a toothpick into a cupcake and if it comes out clean the cupcake is done.  If not, 5 more minutes, please.
8. Remove from oven.  Let set for a few minutes and remove from pans onto a cooling rack.  
9. Repeat steps 3, and 5-8 until there is no more batter. 

 Ingredients for the Icing: 

Again this varies with personal preference.  I used  Google and saw a lot of recipes.  However, I like my icing to hold its shape.


1 eight-ounce package of cream cheese
1/2 cup of butter
1 two lb bag of powdered/confectioners sugar (you'll use 3.5 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
remainder of Oreos from cake (I did go Oreo happy)


Directions:

1. Put the Oreos into a food processor and pulizerize until the texture that you want.  I wanted a fine texture to put through my wonderful Pampered Chef cake decorator.  
2. Mix the cream cheese and the butter. 
3. Add the vanilla.
4. Slowly, and I mean slowly, add in the powdered sugar.  Mix it in about 1/2 a cup to a cup at a time.  Slowly.  You can always speed up after all of the powdered sugar is mixed in, but if you go too fast to quickly there will be more on the counter, mixer, and yourself than in the icing.
5. My original recipe said to mix the Oreos in by hand, but I had already destroyed those and just slowly added the rest of the package of Oreos (after the food processor) into the icing.   Regardless, slowly mix the Oreos into the icing.
6. Make certain the cupcakes are cool and decorate with the icing.  You can always top with a mini Oreo if you want, but sometimes those become soft.



 And here is the reason I went so mixer happy. After destroying a handheld mixer I was able to borrow my grandmother's upright mixer.  As of today (this recipe was done last week) it is officially mine to keep for always, or until Alice (in Bakingland), as I have named her, decides that she is sick and tired of making icing and the motor stops working (which is what happened to the handheld mixer).


Stay tuned for part 2, what happened because of the Oreo cupcakes that I gave my wonderful, amazing, and smart Beta eater, Jackie, and today's baking adventure.

Oh and most importantly:


Works Cited (at my best guess)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Death-By-Oreo-Cupcakes/






 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

Making Paper Roses