Charm Bracelets!

I love making charm bracelets.   I make them in bangle and traditional charm bracelet forms. Their weight and the jingle on my wrist just makes me happy. When I'm nervous or anxious I can play with one of the charms. 

So, what's the best route for a charm bracelet?

1. Determine your theme. Fairy tale? Fandom? What you like? Go with it. 

2. Try to predetermine your charms, chain type, etc.  Do you want a lot of charms? A little? Bangle where you can move them around and around? Expandable bangle? A traditional chain?

3. Then your other supplies? Jump rings to secure your charms to the bracelet are a must. 2 pairs of pilers (one for each hand) and know how to open the jump rings.

4. Gather all supplies. Me, I'll buy in bulk. This means I can make more of one bracelet or use the surplus with other projects.  If I'm working with a theme, particularly a fandom, I might make charm necklaces with the surplus.

5. Determine your charm order. This works best when the charms are in front of you. A charm might be bigger or smaller than expected and doesn't look right where you initially planned on putting it.

6. Chain spacing.  You want them evenly distributed on the chain. This could be an even pattern -  charm, 2 spaces, charm, 2 spaces, charm - or seemingly uneven pattern - charm, 2 space, charm*, 3 spaces, charm, 2 spaces, *  repeat. 

Some other factors. Test your materials.  I've bought chains where the extenders broke with a simple tug. 

And remember: if you are likely to get charms stuck and bend the jump rings when you get unstuck, you might not want to wear a charm bracelet. They aren't intended for heavy and rough wearings.

If you don't want to make any, you can always buy.  I have several themes in my etsy shop and accept charm bracelet commission and suggestions. ( overthinkercreates.etsy.com )

Happy crafting!

Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

Making Paper Roses