The Overthinker's Guide to Art and Craft Shows

Most of you are aware that I spent most of last week preparing for the Casey Jones Village Arts and Crafts Festival that is held twice a year in Jackson, TN.

Arts. Crafts. Over 50 vendors! (This month was over 80, but one time had over 100! I think several of us were burned by October's dismal weather.)  If you are Sheldon Cooper you get trains! And a buffet restaurant and Old Country Store just steps away!  Push the Mini Putt Putt course. 

I really want to go to it some time. The Mini Putt Putt. Not the Arts and Crafts Show.

This was my 6th craft show, I think.  I've lost count. 

Now, if you are reading this you are probably considering going to one. Or had a bad time at one.    Keep in mind, this works for me and might not work for you. 

1st  - have a canopy/awning/really big umbrella.  If you are outside it'll get hot sitting in that sun.  If you are in blacktop it'll get hot sitting in that sun.  In some cases that canopy can also become part of your display.  Sides are nice but not necessary.  Weights for the canopy legs are the same. You might be okay holding into your frame every single time the wind blows. 

2nd - Sunblock. That canopy won't protect you from all the sun.  This time my elbow got sunburned.  My elbow!

3rd - Your display.  Tables. Stands. Do you have jewelry or homemade soap. 

Me? I use picture frames backed with peg board cut down to fit the frames.  Pegs secured to the board then get jewelry hung on them.  However... We made custom stands that would easily pack up. The frames are secured with duct tape to the stands and the stands are weighted with something heavy hidden behind the frames. 

Why? Wind.  I've had so many frames blown over before that it was tiresome picking up and redisplaying everything over and over again.  I've done this so many times I can now sit comfortably while others panic when it gets windy.  No more broken polymer clay pieces that way.

I also have some over the door hangers that I hang on the canopy frame that jew5 gets hung from. 

4 - Consider your layout.  Where are you going to sit? Do you want to go around the tables and talk to people that way. 

Where are you going to have your packing supplies for sold ideas.  Tissue paper? Bags?

5 - Change/cash box.  Also consider getting a card reader.  I would have lost nearly half my profits yesterday without one.

6. Odds and ends like: Tape. Duct tape. Glue. Table cloths. Bag for trash. Scissors. Chair. String/thin rope.

7. Drinks and snacks.  You'll get thirsty. And hungry. 

8. Your inventory.  Your displays might vary. I haven't had the same organization or display system twice. By that I mean price cards and jewelry packaging, but I do best when it all can dangle.

Have things packed well and take the time to pack the unadopted back up carefully. If you also run an online shop you never know when you'll get an order and need to find it the next day. 

Also, photos are a nice way to share your booth with your socal media followers. If they are local then they can find you easier. 

Plus - if you have an interesting name be prepared to repeat how you came up with the name multiple times.  For years. And always with a smile.  Your name is how people remember your shop so display your shop name proudly.

Happy Shows!

A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

Making Paper Roses