A Homemade Homestyle Bakes Insprired Meal

Homemade Cheesy Hash Browns with Ham
It's been a while and I have a few posts to get started on.  I really should remember to not let them stack up like I did. 

The first for today: A Homemade Homestyle Bakes Inspired Meal. 

Wait?  What?

It's simple.  I was in the grocery store one day and saw this Homestyle Bakes box.  It was basically a cheesy hash browns with ham.  Hmmmm.  Ham.  Anybody who knows me knows that I like my ham, almost as much as chocolate and about even with bacon. 

The thing is I am not big on the whole meal in a box thing.  I did that in college a few times and the pasta always went from hard to mush in 3 seconds.  There was no middle, perfect pasta ground.  Besides, making it from scratch means you can control sodium levels, how much cheese and ham goes in, and just how much you make.  You can make more for just about the same price as buying the box!

There are two options.  Buy some potatoes and grate them yourself or buy a bag of already grated hashbrowns.  For the sake of my friends (sorry Jammie) I'm going to go with the bag.

Homemade Cheesy Hash Browns with Ham.  

Ingredients

1 bag of grated hash browns (not the cubed, although I'm sure it would work too)
1 bag of cheese (I like colby jack)
1 stick of butter
salt, pepper, other seasonings.
Ham (sliced, cubed, diced, whatever you like)

 Remember, cheese is greasy, but some milk to keep things from drying out is necessary. 


Directions: 


1. Set the oven to 450 (or whatever is on the potatoes bag for cooking temp. It's been a while since this was made.)

2. Put the stick of butter in the baking dish to melt, slide in the oven until mostly melted. 
3. Layer in potatoes, cheese, and ham, ending with a layer of cheese on the top.  The order is up to you, except for that cheesy top.  Yum, cheese.
4. Pour in the milk over the top.
5. Bake in oven until cooked.  I'd check after 20 minutes that to make sure that the potatoes are cooking and that things are not drying out.  Cover the dish to keep the moisture in is an option.  I don't remember if I did that. 
6. Remove and enjoy all of that cheesy, potatoey, hammy goodness. 

This is good for breakfast or dinner.
It's melted butter, trust me.
The potatoes
layering
more layers
Before the oven










  And I still say, someday I will get the hang of ordering the pictures. See the picture at the very beginning of the blog for the finished product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Discoveries - Homemade Things from Fruit

Left-Handed Calligraphy - Getting Started

Making Paper Roses